You are invited to join Blog Action Day
by October 16 - when voices from all over the world simultaneously share stories and ideas about important global topics. This year's main theme is #RaiseYourVoice and bloggers now have the choice to write on 3 sub-topics: #JustABlogger, #FreeWord or #GirlsRaiseYourVoice
Since 2007 Blog Action Day has united bloggers from 130 countries in over 40 languages, to create huge global conversations on the same day about particular critical issues. Past topics have included Inequality, Poverty, Climate Change and Human Rights, among others.
As a supporting partner we’ve been featuring Blog Action Day through our channels for a while now. This is a call to our blogger community to get your blog posts ready.
On October 16, 2015, thousands of bloggers will raise their voice in support of those who cannot do it safely, when faced with censorship, threats and violence. We will raise our voices to defend their right to raise theirs. Together we could do more and make those voices actually heard.
Following it is to highlight the sub-themes, so that you choose the topic that is the closest to you and take it further from here.
- bloggers speak truth and tell stories of social importance. Sometimes risking their lives in doing so, as this causes discomfort for some powerful individuals, groups and unfair governments. Be it about corruption, privacy issues, illegal trading, etc. Mainstream media is not always reflecting stories as they actually are, because they are often influenced and controlled. And so the bloggers are the ones who shine a light on issues and, sadly, are sometimes attacked for being just a blogger. Fellow bloggers who have the privilege of being protected by a better democracy, are encouraged on this October 16 to feature the issues other bloggers have been repressed for telling.
- the freedom to write and read keeps being under attack, despite the fact that we've gone a long way heading towards a better society. Authors, journalists and bloggers must be able to express ideas freely and should not be punished or censored when criticizing governments and ruling structures. Readers should have unfettered access to the flow of these ideas and the freedom to respond. With this sub-theme bloggers and participants are invited to tell stories on the importance of the freedom to express.
- gender discrimination is still an issue in certain parts of the word, unfortunately. From very young ages to adult women. Bloggers who have stories to tell on gender inequality issues are encouraged to share them on this occasion, so that the world knows and takes further action.
Everyone’s posts on the topics suggested above are invited on October 16. The hashtag for selected sub-theme (#JustABlogger, #FreeWord or #GirlsRaiseYourVoice) has to be used along with one of the following main hashtags: #BlogActionDay
The hashtags are particularly relevant on social media platforms like Facebook, Twitter and Google+, since they make it easy for interested fellows to follow a hashtag and discover posts. And when particular hashtags are used by more people at the same time - they get a lot more attention and traction. That is why Blog Action Day is a really smart initiative and a unique occasion for all of us, which can actually amplify messages and trigger social change.
Getting involved is easy:
* Submit your blog to register for Blog Action Day
2015 by October 16;
* Choose a topic of the ones proposed and be inspired by editorial partners
* Get a badge
to use for your blog and your Blog Action Day post;
* Share your blog posts and use proposed tags across social networks;
* Visit blogactionday.org and connect with the comunity.
Those of you who are not blogging but are on social networks, please share with your followers a link, a media piece or a few words to build awareness. Because when issues get elevated and into attention, they tend to be solved. Please feel free to choose for sharing the story of your liking at blogactionday.org
on October 16.
Raising voices united could really be powerful. The more we are, the stronger the impact. Be part of a unique community who cares, to make the world a better place.
Thank you in advance for your participation.
Labels: #BlogActionDay, #FreeWord, #GirlsRaiseYourVoice, #JustABlogger, #Oct16, #RaiseYourVoice